Friday, February 27, 2015

6 Questions: An Author Spotlight Series with Paul Acampora

Paul Acampora, author of I KILL THE MOCKINGBIRD, answers our questions.

Favorite MG authors? Illustrators you admire?
I have so many favorites! Off the top of my head (and in no particular order): Kate DiCamillo, Bruce Coville, Lisa Graff, Anne Martin, David Lubar, Patricia Reilly Giff, Rick Riordan, Josh Berk, Deborah Wiles, Raina Telgemeier, Jordan Sonnenblick, Tim Federle, Lisa  Yee, Rodman Philbrick… If I think for another 5 minutes, I’ll come up with 50 more.
Favorite MG books from the past year (2014/2015)?
UNDER THE EGG by Laura Marx Fitzgerald
THE FOURTEENTH GOLDFISH by Jennifer L. Holm
EL DEFO by Cece Bell
RAIN REIGN by Ann M. Martin
How/why did you start writing?
I love stories – reading them, hearing them, telling them – so I had ideas in my head. I guess I wanted to see what happened next. And I wanted to see if I could do it. Also, I like to construct a good sentence.
One piece of advice for young writers?
Read everything. Keep a journal. Write every day. (Is that 3 pieces?)

What are you currently working on? 
Novels. Short stories. Op/Ed pieces. A musical. Screenplays. Comedy. Having a good day. Being a good dad. Succeeding at my day job. Making people laugh. Not being an idiot.
Are your characters/stories inspired by real people/events?
Yes. People should be careful what they do and say around me. If they’re interesting, they’ll definitely end up in my journal. They might end up in a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment