Friday, February 6, 2015

6 Questions: An Author Spotlight Series -- Debbie Dadey

Debbie Dadey, author of the bestselling The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, answers our questions!

Favorite MG authors? Illustrators you admire?  
Richard Peck-I can't tell you how many times I've reread A Year Down Yonder.  I love the illustrations that Tatevik Avakyan has done for my Mermaid Tales series with Simon and Schuster.

Favorite MG books from the past year (2014/2015)?  


Cress by Marissa Meyer
Webmaster Note:  Marissa Meyer's series are for 12+ readers.
How/why did you start writing? 

I love to read and wanted to create something that someone else might enjoy.

One piece of advice for young writers? 
If you find something you want to do, like writing, don't give up when it's hard.  Because, believe me it will be hard at times.

What are you currently working on?  (Give us your elevator pitch!)  

I am just getting ready to start on a new Mermaid Tales book.  It will be book #15 in the series.  I am brainstorming what it should be about.  I will hash about several ideas and then pass them onto my editor to see which one she likes the best.  Then I'll take that little summary and create an outline.  I'll show that to my editor and we can tweak it before I begin to write the story.

Are your characters/stories inspired by real people/events? 

Yes, how could they not be?  I think everything that happens to a writer somehow finds its way into a story.

As a bonus, here's a peek at the newest Mermaid Tales book cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment